19 August 2010

Chicken Thighs with Mushroom Sauce

What you need
  • chicken thighs
  • mushrooms - crimini, button, shitake, oyster - whatever floats your boat
  • onion
  • garlic
  • butter
  • flour
  • buttermilk
  • dried sage
  • chinese five spice
  • salt and pepper
Debone the thighs yourself - you can do it.  Season with chinese five spice, salt and pepper.

Put skin side down in a skillet and turn up the heat to high.  Put a lid on the skillet.  You want the skin crisp and the flesh to be steamed

While the chicken is frying I started to saute the onion and garlic in butter in a separate frying pay.  Once the onion is good and soft, throw in the mushrooms.

When the chicken has crispy skin, turn skin side up and finish in the oven.  Now I poured the excess chicken fat into the onion/mushroom pan.  Oh yes, you know I did.

I added some flour to the onion/mushroom/chicken fat pan to make a bit of roux.  I also tossed in some dried sage - that seemed to be right.

Then added the buttermilk.

I placed the chicken on some rice I whipped up and gooped on the mushroom sauce.

There done.  Not pretty but oh so good.  Another Jacques Pepin rip off.

No comments:

Post a Comment