20 August 2010

Gravlax - Cured Salmon

What you need
  • salmon
  • salt
  • sugar
  • dill
This struck me as something simple to do and after the success I've been having with the duck proscuitto and pork saucisson I thought I'd turn my attention to fish.

Take a skin on salmon fillet and rub with a 50/50 salt/sugar mix
Put it into a container and cover with dill (I used dry but you can use fresh)
Cover with plastic wrap
Put another container on top and weigh it down (I used pickle jars)
Drain off the accumulated liquid occassionally
Let it sit for 48 hours

... now I did this yesterday so I haven't even tasted it yet... stay tuned

OK, ate it.  Can't say I'm nuts about it.  I kept expecting the taste of smoked salmon... and then when that's not there it's like... Awwwwww.  Now the flesh did firm up.  Tons of liquid came out during the curing process.  But you should try it - maybe you'll like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment